(NewsUSA) – Spring is here, and that means not only getting a jump on your cleaning, but also having a reason to check all areas of your house and garage for signs of pests that might have made themselves at home over the winter.
Take a tour through your house and try these simple steps suggested by Kari Warberg Block, pest prevention expert and founder of EarthKind and Stay Away natural pest-prevention products for a few pest-proofing techniques for each room of your house
* Outside: The best defense is a good offense when it comes to protecting the outside of your home from pests. Inspect the exterior of your house and patch any cracks or other openings that may have developed over the winter.
* Living room: Keep ants from becoming unwanted guests in your living room by vacuuming the entry/living room areas thoroughly to get rid of any crumbs, and clean up any sweet, sugary spills which are the number one culprit for attracting ants in this area. Also, try a non-toxic ant repellant such as Stay Away Ants pouches. All Stay Away products are made in the USA from essential oils and plant fibers, so they are eco-friendly and have no known risks associated with use in the home.
* Kitchen: Use natural ingredients to keep your kitchen clean and repel rodents and other pests. Be sure to clean under refrigerators, stoves, and sinks because these are the areas where rodents frequently make their nests. Dog food is the number one attractant to hungry rodents. Try using a plant-based Stay Away Rodent repellant pouch, and you may avoid becoming one of the 21 million American homes invaded by rodents each winter (according to the National Pest Management Association). After pest-proofing your kitchen, proceed to the pantry, where moths might try to make themselves at home. Prevent problems by storing food in airtight glass, metal, or plastic containers; cleaning and checking packages for signs of holes; and placing a non-toxic Stay Away Moths pouch nearby.
* Bedroom and Closet: Moths also can consider closets a place to call home, but a Stay Away Moths pouch can keep them at bay. In the bedroom, the non-toxic Stay Away Spiders repellant offers a similar strategy. After vacuuming to remove any existing webs, use the repellant to prevent additional infestations.
* Garage and Basement: These areas can harbor a variety of pests. To keep them out, avoid storing items in cardboard boxes, which can attract rodents (they use cardboard to build their nests) as well as cockroaches (they like to feast on the glue ). Also, repair any leaky pipes to prevent the development of mold and moisture.
Visit earthkind.com for more ideas for safely pest-proofing your home.
(NewsUSA) – Spring is here, and that means not only getting a jump on your cleaning, but also having a reason to check all areas of your house and garage for signs of pests that might have made themselves at home over the winter.
(NewsUSA) – When consumers fill their tanks at the gas station, they will see signs reading “may contain 10 percent Ethanol. However, many don’t know what this means or how it can affect their engine performance. Ethanol-blended fuel has become standard in the United States, and the Environmental Protection Agency recently mandated an increase in the amount of ethanol added to fuel;, meaning, it is even more important that consumers understand the pros and cons of Ethanol.
Ethanol is a biofuel distilled from corn and sugar that has many benefits, including reducing greenhouse emissions and lowering the cost of fuel at the pump.
However, ethanol-blended fuel can also have negative side effects on your car, boat and small engines, such as lawnmowers and snowblowers, over time. Some signs that ethanol is affecting your engine’s performance include:
* Efficiency: Ethanol-blended fuel’s lower energy efficiency may reduce fuel economy of your engine.
* Stalling: Ethanol can cause engine stalling if the water in the ethanol separates from the gasoline and floods the engine. This problem is most likely in engines that sit unused for long periods of time.
* Corrosion: Ethanol can contribute to corrosion of fuel tanks and other components, and the risk is even greater with small engines with aluminum parts.
* Clogging: Ethanol can loosen debris in the fuel line that leads to clogs.
Fortunately, there are several easy things you can do to help protect your engine from ethanol-related side effects.
Treatment: Using a non-alcohol based fuel stabilizer and treatment product, such as STA-BIL 360 Performance, can help protect gas-powered engines. A stabilizer may be especially beneficial for engines that sit for long periods without starting. Stabilizers are designed to absorb the excess water that may be present if ethanol begins to separate from gasoline and protect the insides of the fuel tank and parts.
Turn it on: Start up your stored classic car, boat and seasonal equipment, such as lawn mowers or snow blowers a few times during the off-season months to make sure they are running smoothly.
Tank it up: Cars, lawn mowers, snow blowers, boats, and other gasoline-powered tools and vehicles should keep their tanks at 95 percent full with fuel, and add a fuel stabilizer if they are tosit unused for a long time. This strategy helps prevent condensation while allowing room for expansion in warmer weather.
Trust your source: Buy fuel from a reputable gas station. A station with a quick turnover of their products helps ensure that the gasoline is fresh.
Test the lines: Rubber fuel lines dating from before the mid-1980’s should be inspected. These lines may not be compatible with ethanol-blended fuel, and may need to be replaced.
For more information about protecting your engine, visit www.sta-bil.com.
(NewsUSA) – November is Epilepsy Awareness month, and this year’s 4th Annual Epilepsy Awareness Day (EAD) was the largest gathering of epilepsy patients and physicians in the world. Held at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, the 2-day event included a convention with over 90 exhibitors, 24 physician/specialist seminars, a Rick Springfield benefit concert, and a full day at Disneyland for the families.
Epilepsy is a brain disorder marked by recurring seizures, or convulsions, and it affects over 2 million Americans, with onset often beginning with children. It is also estimated that as many as one-third of individuals with autism spectrum disorder also have epilepsy. Despite affecting such a large breadth of the population, the National Institute of Health’s estimated research budget for fiscal year 2017 is only $145 million.
EAD is an annual event operated by the Irvine-based non-profit foundation, Sofie’s Journey/EAD, now in its fifth year and drawing people from across the globe. “We wanted to create an opportunity to drive epilepsy awareness, with awareness the key to overcoming challenges created by epilepsy,” states Candy Levy, Co-Founder of Sofie’s Journey/EAD. “At our event we bring together patients, physicians, advocates, non-profits, services, and this year we had a large section of the convention facility for people to meet their possible and future service dogs.”
Sofie’s Journey began with Sofie Levy, who had her first seizure at 5 years old. After years of pursuing treatments and options, the Levy family was given the opportunity of brain surgery for Sofie. Sofie is now in 11th grade, and is eight years seizure-free. To further focus their passion for epilepsy awareness, and to ensure that others are afforded great epilepsy care, Sofie’s parent’s Candy and Brad Levy created Epilepsy Awareness Day with the first event held on November 7, 2013.
“The Epilepsy Awareness Day at Disneyland has become a unique opportunity for patients with epilepsy and their caregivers to interface with non-profit and other groups to openly communicate about their needs and available services,” says neurosurgeon Dr. Gary Mathern. “This is a model meeting that should serve as an example for others around the world.”
There are other conventions globally, including the annual American Epilepsy Society convention held in the beginning of December. What separates EAD is that it is not a typical medical or business convention: it is about the patients and their families. “We have learned so much, met many people with similar things like us, but most importantly we learned that we are not alone in this fight with epilepsy. Awareness is spreading like wild, it’s the best,” says Mandy G. from Kansas. “We have been so lucky to work with the UCLA pediatric epilepsy department to help our son, we travel to the west coast every few months for treatment.”
Preparations are underway for 2017, with an expanded focus. “The good we are doing is an incredible feeling that goes beyond description, says Brad Levy, Co-Founder. “We are transitioning to a full-time Epilepsy Awareness campaign, with a three-day physical event as the anchor for our efforts. Planned for this year, we will have an updated site, multi-platform social media presence, video campaigns, and working more closely with our medical advisory board and hospitals. Our mission is now a year-long epilepsy awareness campaign.”
For more information, visit www.epilepsyawarenessday.org
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – It takes a lot to get a drug to market.
First there are reams of applications to submit to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), years of documented research, various trial phases, and a litany of other hoops to jump through that make the process daunting, albeit ultimately worthy.
Consider this: global spending on cancer medicines topped $107 billion last year, and is expected to reach $150 billion by 2020. Over the past decade our understanding of how different cancers evade the immune system has grown exponentially. Likewise, in the past decade the number of potential cancer medicines in mid- to late-stage clinical studies has grown 63 percent to 586, involving more than 500 companies.
For those companies that choose to focus on orphan diseases — that is, those conditions deemed rare — applying and gaining an orphan drug designation could pave an easier path for gaining market approval.
For Propanc Health Group (OTCBB: PPCH), filing for orphan medicinal product designation (OMPD) in Europe for pancreatic cancer for PRP, an anti-cancer compound, means that it is one step closer to bringing a cure for certain types of cancer to patients who desperately need it, as approval requires evidence showing a significant clinical benefit over available therapies.
“This is an important step for Propanc and supports our plans for developing PRP as a treatment solution for aggressive, fast-spreading solid tumors,” says James Nathanielsz, Propanc’s chief executive officer. “Pancreatic cancer is an area where there is an urgent need for viable solutions and we remain determined to bring to market what could become a target and safer treatment approach, which we hope will meaningfully extend patient lives.”
The European Union grants OMPD status to products which treat rare diseases, providing a range of incentives to sponsors developing drugs or biologics such as fee waivers and a 10-year market exclusivity period (post-authorization).
PRP is a naturally derived proenzyme formulation that seeks to halt cancer progression and spreading by eradicating cancer stem cells (CSC) while leaving normal stem cells unaffected.
Experiments were conducted using isolated CSCs from patients, comparing the behavior of the cells pre- and post-treatment with PRP by examining the genetic pathways that control the cells.
In short, the data indicates that the dramatic reduction of cellular markers associated with the process of epithelial-mesenchymal transition as a consequence of PRP treatment could not only reverse the EMT process with the implication to stop tumor growth and metastasis, but also potentially suppress the development of CSCs.
Visit www.propanc.com for more information about the company and its work.
(NewsUSA) – It’s an undeniable fact. Among cash, gift cards and the “toy of the moment,” kids want to see video games under the Christmas tree. Rail against it all you want, that’s the reality. But take heart, parents, today’s video games can teach kids valuable life lessons not learned in a classroom.
For those that scoff at the idea that video games have value beyond hours of mindless entertainment, Sherry Turkel, a professor and researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says, “think again.”
“The games demand skills that are complex,” Turkel told The Washington Post in an interview. “There is learning how to learn ? there is nothing mindless about mastering a video game.”
One game that is getting attention for its complexity and teachable moments is Bungie and Activition’s Destiny games, a bold world of action and adventure where kids are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth. If you’re a veteran and have followed the game from its inception, you may like the newest release, Destiny: Rise of Iron. If you’re a newbie, Destiny — The Collection, contains five games in one collection, including the newest release from the award winning franchise. And best of all, it’s available for just $59.99.
Still not convinced? The following skills are just a few underlying themes in the Destiny franchise that teach kids lessons outside of simple distraction:
* Astronomy. The game offers a futuristic fictional scenario of our Solar System, where humans colonized other planets but were mysteriously brought to the brink of extinction (with known survivors now living in and defending Earth’s last city from alien invaders).
* Problem solving and creativity. In Destiny, players not only fend off alien antagonists, but must also solve mysteries, create their own avatar race and class, and complete multiple tasks.
* Hand eye coordination. As a shooter-based game, Destiny features combat against an onslaught of alien enemy attacks from all angles.
* Team work. The game contains three-player strikes and six-player raids, requiring communication and teamwork.
* Socialization. Unlike other similar shooter-based games, Destiny does not have blood, gore, or adult content. Instead, the game is rated T for teen and focuses on sci-fi fantasy and discovery, making it a perfect game for parents and siblings as well.
Currently Destiny — The Collection and Destiny: Rise of Iron are both offered on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms.
For more information, please visit www.destinythegame.com.
(NewsUSA) – In today’s digital world, there is no denying the benefits of technology in education. However, despite technology’s ability to provide students with countless books and online literacy development tools, too many students still struggle to read and too few discover the joys of becoming lifelong readers.
According to a recent study in Reading Research Quarterly, despite substantial investments by educators in reading technology, the results have been disappointing. When reading independently, today’s students are struggling more and comprehending less than their peers in 1960.
But one company has an approach that can help reverse the trend. Based on more than 80 years of research, Reading Plus believes the opportunity lies in integrating the three domains of reading: physical, cognitive, and emotional. When all three domains are developed simultaneously in one program, students become more efficient, proficient, and engaged readers, according to a white paper released by the company.
Dr. P. David Pearson, the first chairman of the International Literacy Association’s Literacy Research Panel, says, “It’s not only about becoming faster and more efficient in independent silent reading. It’s doing it with comprehension, and with the ultimate goal of acquiring knowledge and enhancing personal interests.”
Here is an overview of the three domains, according to the white paper:
* Physical. Reading begins with a physical skill – the visual processing of text. Students who labor to read have not yet developed this skill. They spend their energy trying to process words and have little left to understand what they’ve read. Unless physical skills are developed, students continue to labor, fall behind, and ultimately lose interest in reading.
* Cognitive. Vocabulary and comprehension have long been the focus for reading development. Most approaches assume that improvement results from student practice with increasingly complex texts. However, research shows that vocabulary is the best indicator of text complexity, yet readability measures emphasize sentence length. Matching students with the text levels that allow them to develop skills at the pace they need is critical.
* Emotional. Tapping into students’ interests builds confidence and motivation. Students who read what they like are more interested and engaged in reading; more interested and engaged students become better readers; and better readers become lifelong readers. It’s essential to let students choose to read what they like.
The bottom line: when students read independently, they don’t engage with each domain of reading in isolation from the others; instead, they engage with all three domains simultaneously and to build lifelong readers, so should their reading development.
For more information on the study and Reading Plus, visit www.readingplus.com.
(NewsUSA) – Contact lenses allow those individuals who need vision correction the freedom to see better without the inconvenience of glasses.However, contact lenses can also cause inflammation, pain, and dry eyes, according to Dr. Eric D. Donnenfeld, MD, FACS."More than fifteen percent of people suffer from a problem called contact lens intolerance, where discomfort and dryness is so great, they have to give up their lenses," says Dr. Donnenfeld, a board-certified ophthalmologist, clinical professor of ophthalmology at New York University, and past president of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.In addition, contact lens wearers run the risk of serious eye infections. A recent report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that approximately 20 percent of infections associated with contact lens wear led to serious eye damage."Many of my own patients are upset and frustrated because they can no longer wear contact lenses," says Dr. Donnenfeld. However, several new treatment approaches, including an eyelid cleanser called Avenova, can help, he says."The most common cause of contact lens intolerance is dry eye, which occurs when the eye doesn’t have a sufficient film of protective tears," Dr. Donnenfeld explains. "That problem, in turn, is caused or exacerbated by bacteria and tiny parasitic mites that live on the eyelids. The microbes not only irritate sensitive eye tissue, causing pain and inflammation (and, sometimes, serious eye infections), they also make enzymes that break down a crucial oil layer that protects the tear film," he says. Avenova with Neutrox, from NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, has become Dr. Donnenfeld’s first line therapy of choice for managing the bacteria associated with chronic dry eye.Avenova "inactivates the bacterial enzymes, helping to stabilize the tear film and improve comfort. So far, every single one of my patients suffering from contact lens intolerance or other chronic eye conditions has been helped by simple twice-daily wipes with Avenova. It truly is a breakthrough," Dr. Donnenfeld says.Two additional devices can be used to help make contact lens use more comfortable: a new device called LipiFlow applies heat and controlled pressure to the inner eyelid, unblocking the glands that produce the crucial oil; and another device, called BlephEx, deep cleans the lid margins with a disposable sponge, Dr. Donnenfeld says.Visit Avenova.com for more information about appropriate eye and eyelid hygiene products.
Summer is in full swing, but there’s still time to plan a relaxing staycation or backyard soiree while the evenings are warm and clear. To make the most of your family and friends time, look around your outdoor space to see if the existing lighting works properly and enhances the ambiance.
According to the American Lighting Association (ALA), a few updates to your outside lighting can make your alfresco time more enjoyable. And the best part? It doesn’t have to be time consuming or costly to transform your existing patio, deck or pool area into a lovely retreat.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Raising capital to start a new business is not as easy as setting up a lemonade stand or selling Girl Scout cookies. A primary reason for the failure of start-ups is a lack of funding. There are plenty of great products and ideas that have never come close to making it to the public.
Without American entrepreneurship, and the drive to just go for it, we would not have Apple, Google, Facebook, Starbucks, or countless other companies that are a part of our everyday lives.
Here are five ways to generate capital for your business in today’s economy:
1. Friends and Family. A tried and true methodology, this has been a staple of start-up funding for hundreds of years. It is however, not without its risks, as a failed business could lead to strained relationships. or even the end of relationships.
2. SBA Express. The Small Business Association provides several avenues for borrowing money. SBA Express allows bank-qualified business owners to borrow up to $150,000 without filing the typical SBA loan application. Plus, owners will receive a loan decision within 36 hours.
3. Community banks. Community banks actually have the capacity to be flexible with lending terms whereas large corporate banks do not. Find local lenders by reaching out to the Independent Bankers Association of America, which has access to 5,000 community banks.
4. Crowdfunding. Crowdfunding networks like Kickstarter and Indiegogo have raised some serious cash from individual investors. If you have an innovative idea or project, develop a reasonable funding goal and timeline and see which investors support you and pledge funding. Remember, projects must meet their funding goals before the time runs out, or else no actual money is received. Also, be aware that a percentage of the money raised will be kept by the crowdfunding site as part of their fees.
5. DPOUSA. DPOUSA is an online financial platform providing client companies the opportunity to have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year visibility of a direct public offering to a growing base of over 33,000 accredited investors and institutions representing over $500 billion in available capital. Unique to DPOUSA is the DPOUSA Special Council, a diverse cross-section of 50 professionals from various industries available to assist DPOUSA client companies. Visit www.DPOUSA.com for more information.
Whatever the state of the economy, there will be those willing to invest in new businesses. New businesses create jobs, and power growth. There are sources to help with capital. So, once you find the sources, be ready with a great plan to show what you are going to do with the capital, and how the investor will benefit.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Technology continues to change the way businesses operate, and that includes how they find resources to get started, fund growth and find a buyer. DPOUSA is one example of the latest paradigm in funding business opportunities. DPOUSA is an online financial platform connecting companies with capital sources, buyers with sellers, and people seeking business opportunities. DPO stands for “direct public offering,” and DPOUSA.com is designed to allow individuals to present their businesses directly to potential investors. The ventures can range from startups to large enterprises, and the online platform has sections for each stage of the business life cycle. The site reflects the new business paradigm: It is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year for users interested in acquiring, funding or investing in new ventures.
The DPOUSA technology allows users to quickly search transactions and find the right match through a user-friendly interface. The online setup allows companies to deal directly with interested capital sources.
“All politics, issues and differences aside, this is the only country with an abundance of opportunity. DPOUSA exists to connect those opportunities and provide access to all Americans,” says Brian Jue, a founding member of the DPOUSA Special Council. “A startup needing infrastructure can now find a match in an existing business looking to transfer its assets?it might very well be a millennial connecting with a baby boomer to get something very cool off the ground,” Jue adds. “DPOUSA exists to strengthen the U.S. economy by enabling the American dream.”
All costs are completely transparent, and a special council of experienced business executives and professionals is available via the website to assist both sides of transactions. DPOUSA charges a flat fee to list a company’s opportunity. In addition, various packages exist to create affordability for earlier-stage transactions, with additional services and exposure also available for more complex transactions. Investors and financial institutions pay no fees to use DPOUSA.
DPOUSA includes a database of more than 30,000 accredited investors and financial institutions that collectively have over $500 billion to invest in businesses, and the site is designed to facilitate all types of transactions, for startups and well-established businesses alike. To ensure the growth of the platform, DPOUSA has committed resources for an ongoing campaign utilizing traditional, digital and social media to build its national presence.
For more details about DPOUSA’s services, please visit www.dpousa.com.