(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Saving for college is at an all-time high – give yourselves a hand, parents – but when it comes to actually meeting our own funding goals. . .Well, that’s another story. According to Fidelity Investment’s 10th Annual College Savings Indicator Study, 72 percent of parents surveyed are now socking away money to meet the ever-rising cost of higher education – up from 58 percent almost a decade ago. Alas, that still leaves today’s parents on track to reach only 29 percent of their stated target amount by the time their child hopes to start freshman year. So you might want to check out these strategies intended to help get you there. See full-sized image here.
(NewsUSA) – Caminar en un país de las maravillas del invierno puede inspirar sensaciones cálidas, pero conducir en invierno tiene el efecto contrario. Conducir en invierno puede ser un reto, pero mantener su coche correctamente sujeto significa un largo camino hacia la paz de la mente cuando el clima de invierno golpea. La conducción invernal segura comienza donde el caucho se encuentra con la carretera, en los neumáticos.Un neumático diseñado para funcionar en condiciones de invierno puede ayudar a los conductores a sentirse más seguros y confiados. El neumático Michelin X-Ice Xi3, es un neumático diseñado para hacer frente a carreteras heladas y condiciones de manejo potencialmente peligrosas.Según Ed Gliss, piloto de pruebas y experto técnico de Michelin, los neumáticos de todas las estaciones son una apuesta segura para condiciones inferiores a 40 grados Fahrenheit, pero "una vez que las temperaturas llegan al punto de congelación, y más bajas, considere los neumáticos de invierno, que proporcionan una tracción superior para el manejo en carreteras nevadas y heladas".Al equipar su coche con neumáticos de invierno, es importante considerar y entender qué características del neumático generan el agarre de tracción y manejo para navegar con confianza en las condiciones de invierno.–Huella: Cuanto mayor sea el número de bloques de la huella en un neumático, mejor será su rendimiento, con el aumento de la capacidad del neumático para agarrar la carretera bajo el hielo, en condiciones de nieve. El X-Ice Xi3 de Michelin está diseñado con un aumento del 15 por ciento en el borde mordaz para un agarre confiable.–Huella de compuesto de goma: la química juega un papel importante en el desarrollo de los neumáticos más seguros posibles para las condiciones de conducción en invierno. Un compuesto de sílice, como el Michelin Flex-Ice, puede ayudar a mantener la flexibilidad de los neumáticos en temperaturas por debajo de la temperatura de congelación, lo que contribuye a un rendimiento más fiable de los neumáticos en las carreteras cubiertas de hielo o nieve. La sílice también mantiene la firmeza de un neumático cuando las temperaturas son moderadas, lo que mejora el agarre y el desgaste de los neumáticos.Independientemente de si tiene neumáticos de invierno, no olvide verificar regularmente la presión de sus neumáticos para ayudar a asegurar su rendimiento óptimo. Los controles de presión regulares son especialmente importantes durante los meses de invierno, ya que los neumáticos pierden presión a medida que baja la temperatura. Otros consejos para una conducción segura en invierno incluyen la comprobación del estado de las escobillas del limpiaparabrisas y los niveles de líquido, y la comprobación de los faros y luces de freno para asegurarse de que sean totalmente funcionales.Para obtener más consejos sobre el cuidado del coche en invierno, visite www.MichelinMedia.com
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News –
It’s that time of year when the weather turns crisp, colors brighten, and there are a dwindling number of perfect days left to relax outside or take one more drive, ride, or trip to the lake.
Too soon, it will be time to put away your classic car, boat, motorcycle, and patio furniture, until warm weather arrives again.
Proper storage techniques are super important to keep your gear in great shape and running order. To make sure you are ready to roll next spring, we’ve compiled a list of simple storage tips:
* Storing your classic car or motorcycle. It’s important to clean and remove all road grime, dust and other debris from all interior and exterior surfaces before storing. Then, after cleaning, make sure to protect hard surfaces and finished leather with 303 Automotive Protectant. Also, remember that old gas breaks down over time and can lead to gummed-up fuel lines, carburetors and injectors. To avoid these issues, fill your fuel tank 95 percent full with fresh gas and add a quality fuel stabilizer such as STA-BIL Storage to keep the gas fresh for as long as 24 months. After the stabilizer is added, run the engine for a few minutes to ensure that the stabilizer gets into all parts of the fuel system.
* Storing your boat and water equipment. It’s best to do a thorough cleaning of your boat to avoid any deterioration while it sits in storage. Start by removing all the dirt and grime from the boat’s surfaces with a cleaner such as 303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser, and protect the exterior of the boat with 303 Marine Quick Wax. Moving to the inside, similarly to the classic car, fill the gas tank 95 percent full with fresh fuel and add a fuel stabilizer. Store your boat in a cool, dry place and cover it to keep dust away.
* Storing your small engine equipment. Most fuel available today contains ethanol, and ethanol can wreak havoc on small engines if they’re not treated before storage. Over time, the water and ethanol will separate and sink to the bottom of the fuel tank, leading to corrosion, stalling and engine damage. To make sure your engines start up come spring, fill your tank with fresh fuel and add a stabilizer to the tank. It’s also a good idea to store your small engine equipment indoors to protect it from the elements.
* Storing your patio furniture. Before putting your outdoor oasis away, make sure to wash or brush off any loose debris. Remove surface stains with a cleaner such as 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner and make sure to protect your cushions from future spills and spots with a product such as 303 Fabric Guard. Make sure to apply it in a well ventilated area and let it dry before storage. Finally, protect the hard surfaces of your furniture with 303 Protectant to repel dust and prevent fading and cracking.
For more information, visit www.sta-bil.com or www.303products.com.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – An apple a day keeps the doctor away and also keeps school programs in shape via a fundraiser sponsored by the U.S. Apple Association. The “Buy an Apple, Help a Student” program from the nation’s apple growers offers a simple formula for supporting students and encouraging healthy snacking.
Each time people share photos of themselves or someone they know enjoying an apple or apple product, such as applesauce, or a product from partner brand Marzetti, the U.S. apple industry will pledge a financial contribution to a selection of student projects at schools across the United States. The “snack, snap, tag, share” theme starts with a visit to Apples4Ed.com between now and November 12 to review the eligible projects and schools. Projects include school gardens, book clubs, new science equipment, and improved teacher resources.
Supporting these causes takes four simple steps:
Snack: Grab an apple, apple juice, applesauce, or Marzetti product.
Snap: Take a picture of you or someone you know enjoying the snack.
Tag: Find a school cause at Apples4Ed.com. Tag the photo with #Apples4Ed and the school’s unique hashtag.
Share: Vote for your favorite school cause by uploading photos to an Instagram or Twitter account.
Those without a public account can upload photos through the Apples4Ed.com site.
In addition, USApple will be offering weekly drawings in which participants can win prizes from USApple members and Marzetti, and can have an additional $100 in funds donated directly to the weekly winner’s favorite school project.
Apples4Ed.com offers facts about apples’ health benefits plus a variety of apple recipes. “There’s always been a deep connection between apples and education, and with Apples4Ed we bring it to life by pairing the health benefits of eating apples with supporting students and schools nationwide,” says Wendy Brannen, USApple’s director of consumer health and public relations. “We encourage everyone to visit Apples4Ed.com, check out these meaningful student causes, and vote for the schools nearest them or the program they feel matters the most,” she says. “During last year’s inaugural program, we received more than 20,000 votes,” she adds.
In December, USApple will announce the final votes and the correlating level of funding based on the votes cast for each school.
Here are the schools and locations of this year’s causes and their hashtags:
Saint Bede the Venerable, Chicago, IL: #SaintBedeGarden
Hyde Park Elementary, Jacksonville, FL: #HydeParkTechnology
Central ISD, Pollok, TX: #CentralISDAppleMonth
Rancho Minerva Middle School, Vista, CA: #RMMicroscopes
Busy Bee and Butterfly Christian Academy, Fort White, FL: #BusyBeeGarden
Moore Elementary School, Bath, PA: #MooreElementaryLiteracy
St. Mary’s Catholic School, Alexandria, VA: #StMarysiPads
Central Lutheran School, New Haven, IN: #CentralLutheranGym
Sterling Elementary, Warrensburg, MO: #SterlingElementaryGarden
Westminster Community Charter School, Buffalo, NY: #WestminsterBookClub
Montgomery Learning Academy, Troy, NC: #MontgomeryArtClass
Faith Elementary, Faith, NC: #FaithFruitsandVeggies
St. Louis Park Middle School, St. Louis Park, MN: #StLouisParkFoodShelf
Walter Biddle Saul High School, Philadelphia, PA: #WBSaulCompost
Academy of World Languages, Cincinnati, OH: #WorldLanguagesPlayground
Sherwood Forest Elementary, Federal Way, WA: #SherwoodForestApples
St. Paul’s Lutheran School, Prior Lake, MN: #StPaulNatureCamp
The U.S. Apple Association is the national trade association for the apple industry. Visit USApple.org for more information.
If you’re like most parents, you remember sending your kindergartener off to school with a backpack bigger than they were. While your child may be able to shoulder it, students are now weighed down more than ever by these cumbersome packs.
Which is why, say experts, more kids than ever before are complaining about back and neck pain. With school starting up again, a likely reason for the complaints is the heavy load they’re carrying (and we’re not talking about classes), with everything from textbooks to laptops to musical instruments crammed inside.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – As a senior entering into your last year of school, you have a lot to be proud of — your grades, your accomplishments, your relationships, and, this year, your senior photo.
Of course you want the “Wow! factor” when you hold the photo in your hand, but to get that takes some preparation and investigation well before you actually arrive at the shoot.
To make things easier, we’ve put together four tips to help you get those picture-perfect shot — ones that are timeless and celebrate your spirit and personality.
* Know before you go. Reviewing a photographer’s online portfolio will allow you to see if their images reflect the style you’re looking for, and mesh with your personality, be it black and white, natural, candid with minimal posing, formal, or classic. Whatever your style, find a photographer whose existing work reflects your vision, instead of hoping the photographer will intuitively understand. You’ll save yourself (and your photographer) time and energy by doing your homework ahead of time.
* Establish a connection. Most photographers perform better when they are at ease with their subject (in this case, you), which ultimately translates to better photos. In this way, it’s important to meet your photographer beforehand to see if you feel comfortable with him or her. “Feeling comfortable during your photo session is the number-one most important thing if you want to have great, relaxed photographs,” says Michelle Moore of Michelle Moore Photography in Seattle, Wash., who is a member of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA), a non-profit association.
* Ensure that your photographer is a pro. The last thing you want to worry about is whether the person you’re hiring is actually a professional. To ease your mind, consider hiring a PPA photographer (www.FindaPhotographer.com) is a website from the non-profit that allows you to search, sort by specialty, locate, browse through portfolios, and even contact qualified photographers in your area). Photographers who are a part of this association have the artistic and technical knowledge and experience to capture and preserve your unique personality while making you feel comfortable.
* Let your parents have a say. While your folks may have different tastes, remember that they are in control of the purse strings, that is, they are (usually) the ones paying. This should be a combined effort, one that involves both parents and teens. “You’ll want to find a compromise in terms of style and budget; but ultimately, it should be a decision that both you and your parents make,” says Moore.
For more information, please visit PPA.com/SeniorTips.com.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Florida is no stranger to the entertainment industry. After all, it’s home to the most visited theme parks on Earth. What people may not know is that the Sunshine State’s entertainment expertise is also used to train our nation’s military.
At first glance, you wouldn’t think the two industries would have much in common. But, according to Forbes magazine, Florida ranks no. 6 in the country in video-game development, and when coupled with Central Florida’s High-Tech Corridor, the result is a community of defense contractors, government agencies, and universities that are loaded with engineers who understand how using entertainment components can transform military training.
The partnerships happen at a 1,000-plus-acre research park in Orlando that is home to the country’s largest cluster of training and simulation companies and agencies, including Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman Corp., General Dynamics Corp. and Honeywell International, as well as a host of military organizations.
“The U.S. military and defense forces around the world are increasingly adopting virtual training because it is safe, efficient and cost-effectively helps them maintain readiness,” says Chris Stellwag, director of marketing communications for CAE, one of the world’s largest training and simulation companies with major operations in Florida. “Simulation-based training allows you to accelerate experience and prepare for sometimes dangerous situations before you have to confront them for real.”
With more than 20 military installations contributing almost $80 billion to Florida’s economy, it’s easy to see how combining entertainment and the defense industry equates to big business. One such program takes place at Camp Blanding Joint Training Center, near Jacksonville. The hyper-realistic Military Operation in Urban Terrain (MOUT) Collective Training Facility presents multiple topographical and environmental experiences to ensure our military’s readiness and effectiveness in real-life situations.
However, for Lt. General Tom Baptiste, USAF (ret.), president and CEO of the National Center for Simulation, the Florida-based trade association specializing in modeling, simulation, and training, merging the two industries is not just about business — it’s personal.
“Virtual world technology allows us to immerse a single soldier or groups of soldiers in a setting that replicates a combat environment and allows them to practice their tactics, techniques and procedures in a space no bigger than a classroom?a powerful and cost-effective alternative to overreliance on large and expensive live training areas,” says Baptiste.
Overall, simulation in Florida has revolutionized the military’s readiness and effectiveness. As a result of these efforts, it is no wonder nearly every U.S. soldier deployed overseas has been trained on systems developed in state. For more information, please visit www.simulationinformation.com.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Are you thinking about planning a Florida vacation? The greater Fort Lauderdale area is among the most popular South Florida destinations. For outdoor enthusiasts, Greater Fort Lauderdale features 23 miles of Blue Wave-certified beaches, as well as more than 300 miles of inland waterways for sightseeing. This beach resort destination offers a range of daytime and nighttime options for entertainment, shopping and dining.
The area is accessible via the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, which offers flights from all major points in the United States and Canada. In addition, the Greater Fort Lauderdale area is home to the Port Everglades cruise port, which hosts a range of luxurious and popular cruise lines on a regular basis.
An affordable package now available in Fort Lauderdale makes it even easier to plan a vacation. The “Vacation Like a VIP” package features a variety of hotel upgrades and discounts on dining, shopping and entertainment to appeal to a range of travelers.
The Vacation Like a VIP package is available at 11 Lauderdale Luxe hotels, including the Diplomat Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, Lago Mar Resort and Club, Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort, Pelican Grand Beach Resort, Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale, Royal Blues Hotel, Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, W Fort Lauderdale and the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.
The package includes free valet parking and a room upgrade at select Lauderdale Luxe hotels, along with a $25 American Express gift card and a $100 resort credit that may be used for food and beverage, golf, spa services, pool and beach cabana fees, water activities and kids programs (where available). The package also has options for free valet parking and a “Savings Passport” at the nearby Colonnade Outlets at Sawgrass Mills, as well as a Summer Savings 2-for-1 card, valued at $200.
The Vacation Like a VIP package is available for travel between May 1 and September 30, 2016, with a minimum two-night stay. For more information, visit sunny.org/vip.
For additional information about how to make the most of your Florida vacation, contact the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau at (800) 22-SUNNY or visit www.sunny.org. You also can get the latest information, tips and advice on Florida travel by contacting the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau via social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare and Pinterest: @visitlauderdale.
(NewsUSA) – Sponsored News – Summer brings warmer temperatures, and that means more people are enjoying the outdoors. But if you have heart failure, it’s important to know that heat can also put extra stress on your heart.
Heart failure is a condition that signals the heart is already working harder to provide the body with enough blood, oxygen and nutrients. Heart failure doesn’t mean the heart has failed completely; however, it isn’t pumping effectively enough to meet the body’s demands. That’s why the hot summer temperatures can be particularly dangerous for heart failure patients — the heat forces an already stressed heart to work even harder to cool the body down. If you have a chronic heart condition like heart failure, there are simple precautions you can take to enjoy the outdoors and stay healthy.
How to Stay Heart-Healthy in the Heat
1. Drink plenty of water before spending time outdoors and take regular water breaks during any physical activity.
The Mayo Clinic recommends women drink an average of 9 cups and men 13 cups of water per day. The American Heart Association suggests avoiding alcohol and caffeinated beverages as the temperatures climb, as they can contribute to dehydration.
2. Wear light clothing and avoid the outdoors during hottest times of the day. The sun is strongest between the hours of noon and 3 p.m., so taking regular breaks in the shade will help your body avoid overheating.
3. In addition to making smarter choices while out in the hot summer temperatures, there are several other important ways that men and women with heart failure can live healthier lifestyles. One of the most important ways is to talk to your doctor about the best management strategies, which can include lifestyle changes, medications, medical devices or surgery.
In the early stages of heart failure, a doctor may suggest lifestyle changes such as a low-sodium diet and regular exercise. As the disease progresses, medications or an implanted device, such as a cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) device, may be necessary to help the heart continue beating more efficiently. CRT technology resynchronizes the lower chambers of the heart by sending uniquely programmed electrical impulses to stimulate each ventricle to beat in sync and offer optimal cardiac performance. A new technology, the CardioMEMS HF System, is designed to help physicians monitor pressures near the heart, which can increase weeks before fluid builds up and symptoms occur. This monitoring allows the doctor to proactively adjust medications to lower pressures, avoiding symptoms and possible hospitalizations. Late-stage heart failure therapy options include a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD), which is a mechanical heart pump that helps circulate blood throughout the body when the heart can’t effectively work on its own.
Patients with heart failure should remember that with a few slight lifestyle adjustments, they can enjoy the summer and take advantage of the warmer weather. Patients should remember to make smart choices about how much time they spend outdoors in the heat, listen to their bodies, and stay up to date on the latest management strategies available for heart failure treatment.
For more information, visit www.heartfailureanswers.com.
Brief Summary: Prior to using any St. Jude Medical device, please review the Instructions for Use for a complete listing of indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse events and directions for use.
Indications and Usage: The CardioMEMS HF System is indicated for wirelessly measuring and monitoring pulmonary artery (PA) pressure and heart rate in New York Heart Association (NYHA) Class III heart failure patients who have been hospitalized for heart failure in the previous year. The hemodynamic data are used by physicians for heart failure management with the goal of reducing heart failure hospitalizations.
Contraindications: The CardioMEMS HF System is contraindicated for patients with an inability to take dual antiplatelet or anticoagulants for one month post implant.
Potential Adverse Events: Potential adverse events associated with the implantation procedure include, but are not limited to the following: Infection, arrhythmias, bleeding, hematoma, thrombus, myocardial infarction, transient ischemic attack, stroke, death and device embolization.
(NewsUSA) – Noticias Patrocinadas – El inicio oficial del verano ya está y los días largos y las noches ambles resultan en las excusas perfectas para invitar a tus queridos a una cena deliciosa al fresco con bebidas frías y una buena conversación. Sin importa si organizas una cena con familia dentro de la casa o si haces una barbacoa para todo el barrio, sigue las últimas tendencias para mantenerte en la moda y dentro de tus presupuestos con estos tesoros de la ropa y del hogar de JCPenney.
* Celebrar con orgullo. Celebra el crisol de los estados unidos. con una fiesta fusión para el cuatro de julio. Para una transformación fácil que complementa cualquier decoración que ya está, añadir acentos del estilo americana que muestren tu lado patriótico. Viste tu sofá con cojines de barras y estrellas como un reconocimiento a la bandera estadounidense. Usa colores vibrantes como azul en sus baterías de cocina como las ollas holandesas de cinco onzas o algo rojo como el juego de sartén de cerámica antiadherente de 11 pulgadas por IMUSA para servir grandes los tamales o la barbacoa atractivamente. Y mientras estás cocinando la carne de la hamburguesa, prepara otro favorito, la tortilla, en lugar del pan en el comal por IMUSA Global Kitchen de
12 pulgadas y cubrir todo con lechuga, tomates y salsa habanero.
* Crear un paraíso tropical. Disfruta la conveniencia y la comodidad de tu propio patio para crear una isla afuera (pero todavía cera) a todo con muebles elegantes que traje todo la familia afuera. Cuando el sol pegue fuerte, piensa en el sentimiento relajado de una hamaca y prepara una tumbona solar con cubierta para disfrutar el día. Y, ningún refugio está completo sin refrescos sabrosos para los adultos y los niños, utiliza la estantería plegable con ruedas de Outdoor Oasis para mantener a mano las bebidas y los antojitos, y guárdala fácilmente al fin del día. Mientras la noche viene, mantiene el resplandor de la puesta de sol con un juego de seis luces solares para el jardín de Pure Garden.
* Poner la vida en color. Encontrar el traje perfecto para llevar por todo el día — desde trabajo a una fiesta al fresco — es un obstáculo a si misma. Selecciona unos estilos fáciles que llevan colores retros y mezclan con tonos más convencionales para crear un estilo moderno y ideal para el aire libre y el calor. Inspírate con las últimas tendencias de moda para la mujer, como una blusa elegante con el hombro descubierto como la de Worthingto — es moderno y romántico con un toque de la playa. Para el hombre, un polo verde azulado con manga corta de MSX por Michael Strahan permitirá a papá estar listo para el día y preparado para cualquier actividad al mismo tiempo. Combina una blusa simple con los pantalones capris con diseño de Chevron de Xersion para las chicas, y para los chicos, combina los pantalones caqui con una camiseta estampado de Xersion para un estilo cómodo y fácil, listo para salir.
Para más información y otros estilos de inspiración para el verano, visita una tienda JCPenney o sube la pagina de web en www.jcpenney.com.